Thursday, November 19, 2009

Wake up Teenage America!

As I placed my ballot in the slot the employees applauded around me, making the grin on my face, if possible, grow more prominent. Picture if you will with me this scene, as it happened last Tuesday in the Ward 7 voting building. What could possibly soil this picture of complete and utter triumph? Teenage America. I had been 18 for just over a month when my town had its city council elections. Now, I know it’s not like I was able to vote for the president or even the governor, but still, my vote would count. In the weeks leading up to my birthday, it was not the presents and attention that had me excited, but the chance to voice my opinion for the first time ever. As a dedicated follower of NPR, I ‘m very adept at staying updated about the goings-on in the world. Every day I would listen to the varying points of view, waiting for the day I could voice my own. As any normal person would do, I shared with my friends my excitement for the upcoming events. I told then of my whole game plan. How I had gone online, researched each candidate and then wrote down the names of those I liked and planned to vote for. I expected at least some measure of positive feedback, yet I was taken aback with what I received. The majority’s response is the basis for this somewhat-of-a-rant post. “Why bother voting? Your just a teenager.” I was dumbfounded by this. Why vote? Really? I felt as if I was being sucked into a segment of Weekend Update with Seth Meyers. Really guys? Why vote? Really? Why not vote! I couldn’t believe my ears. Just because we’re young doesn’t mean we don’t have a significant place in this population. And then it hit me. This is exactly what is wrong with teenage America today. All that matters it your own little world and all the other people you happen to suck into it with you. How can we live in a world where a freshly-turned legal adult receives questioning looks when discussiong the upcoming elections? If more teenagers in this country had at least an inkling of what was going on outside their tiny little heads, we would have a more positive outlook for the future leaders of the US. So what if the highest position I voted for was mayor? So what if he was the only candidate running in his category? If you get into the practice of opening your ears and eyes while you’re young it will be that much easier to do it when you’ve matured more fully. Besides the disgusting truth discovered about my generation, my first experience at the polls was a positive one. I registered, filled in my bubbles and cast my vote. The next morning I check the headlines, and to my delight, the people I had voted for won. In retrospect, I’ll see this all as a positive, yet eye-opening lesson. Learning early is good. Defying the normalcy of teenage America is better. And some sweet day when I’m a journalist writing a piece about current elections, I’ll remember my first voting experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment