Thursday, November 19, 2009

Parched for New Blood

I found myself in the public library a few days ago, just browsing. It was then that I realized that female teenage America had been abducted: by vampires. Maybe this was a long time coming and I simply overlooked it, but now it seems to be bursting at the seams. The popular Twilight Series seems to have blazed a path of glory for many a vampire tale, movie and TV show. After the recommendation came from a friend, I finally decided to try out my first vampire novel. I was immediately immersed in the twisted world of vampires that Stephanie Meyers left open for me. It wasn’t the kind of book you savored, trying to make the reading process last longer so you’ll have more to enjoy. It was the kind of book that sucked you in and told you that you had to get to the end right away or else your mind would be lingering between the pages all day. Once the series was complete, I moved on to other things. Twilight is definitely a well written book that engages you in a way that is very unique, but I would not put it on the top of my list of excellent literature. Once my eyes were open to vampire-mania, it seemed like everywhere I looked a new spin on the vampire lifestyle was being thrown at me. Different views by different authors of how the vampire tale should be told. One focused on vampirism as a disease infecting populations that overtook cities, and not for the better. Another portrays vampires simply as a minority group thirsting for a voice in the world. Although all of these are interesting takes on a common myth, I wonder if the whole “vampire scene” is being a bit over done. Instead of creating yet another book, movie or TV show about vampirism, why not take up another creature of the night? Zombies, mummies, spirits and ghosts are all sitting and waiting for their time to shine, hidden in the back round of the immortal shadow of the now infamous vampire. I begin to wonder, why are these legends not as popular to the teenage population? Maybe it’s because they don’t have as much controversy orbiting their personas? Or perhaps they simply aren’t as appealing to screaming and obsessive teenage girls. Yet if the latter is the reason, I’d tend to sympathize with the ghouls and ghosts. Its not their fault they don’t look like Rob Pattinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment